Total Pageviews

Saturday 15 November 2014

AN OPEN LETTER FROM A SOLDIER-MUST READ

My name is Sep (Sipahi) Bhoop Singh. I am a soldier in the Indian Army. I'm from somewhere in India - it really doesn't matter where exactly, because that's not relevant. My identity is now that of an Indian soldier rather than a resident of some state. Let me share a secret with you. I joined the Army not because of any patriotic feelings but only because most of my family and relatives do so as a tradition, and also since it gives me decent earning. Of course, Not as good as joining the police or some other government job. But my father couldn't afford the bribes required to pay ther to see my way through. And I was always very fit. So when the faujis came to our district to recruit, I signed up. And despite the rumours I had heard, we didn't have to pay a penny! My life, and the way I look at life, has changed a lot in the past four years. I told you that I didn't join the Army out of any great sense of partiotism. Yet now I do feel proud of being an Indian Army Sepahi.. During my four years in the Army, I have developed a strong pride in being a soldier, being a part of the Army, and I am specially proud of my 'paltan'. I have forged a special bond with my fellow soldiers, and today they are as much my family as my own brothers back in the village. . What actually motivates us is the thought of upholding the 'izzat' of the paltan, and of not being seen as wanting in the eyes of our comrades. I don't know much about politics, nor am I interested. I do read the newspaper and watch TV, but have never got chance to vote in any election. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me which party gets elected or who forms the government. Life in Army is so simple. Just do what you have been trained for. Discipline is the bedrock of the Army - this is what is drilled into us right from the time we get our first haircut as recruits in the Regimental Centres. We used to have an 'ustaad' (instructor) at the centre who told us that in the 'fauj', there is a laid down way of doing everything, and we can't go wrong if we follow it. So whether it is the way I have to fold my blanket, to the way I hold my rifle, everything is laid down. It's good, because that way you don't have to tax your brain too much about what to do and what not to. This is why I have been very puzzled for the last few days. I saw on the TV that in Kashmir soldiers like me who were on duty at a check point are in trouble because they opened fire on a car which refused to stop at three successive barriers. I saw lots of people arguing about it on news - about how the soldiers were wrong in opening fire on innocent boys - apparently they were very young, and two of them died. I know it's sad, loss of life always is. I sympathize with their parents - it must be terrible to lose a child like that. I also heard the defence minister saying that strict action will be taken against the soldiers. This has left me a little disturbed, highly confused and quite uneasy. Weren't the soldiers deployed there on the governent's orders? Weren't they deployed there because there is a terrorism problem in that state? And weren't they just following the laid down procedures when they opened fire on a vehicle which crossed three successive barriers and didn't stop? I tried to imagine what I would have done had I been in their place. How would I know whether such a vehicle is being driven by innocent but mischevious boys or by dangerous terrorists? What if I let it go, and the car is laden with explosives, and it goes and blows up at a crowded place, killing hundreds of innocent people? How much time would I have to weigh these factors and take a decision ? -- May be just a fraction of a Second ? I came to the conclusion that under similar circumstances, I would have also done what these 'poor' soldiers did. I was discussing this with some of my friends in the langar. They all felt the same. Someone said, "the soldiers are not going there on their own, for a holiday. They have been sent there by the government because it feels things are not normal there and the local authorities are helpless. The Army's job is to simply obey the Orders. Army is basically to fight wars. So by deploying the Army the government believes there is a war-like situation there. Otherwise, wouldn't the police and para-military forces be enough to deal with the situation? And if there is a war-like situation, how can it be tackled only by the peacetime laws ? Isn't that the reason why the area has been declared as 'disturbed' , and the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) imposed to give the necessary powers to Army when the Police and other civil machinery have failed ? One informed comrade told us that the AFSPA is meant to allow us to operate in the disturbed areas where we need to react quickly to deal with terrorists. If you are chasing a terrorist, and he goes and hides in a building, you can't go looking for a warrant to search that building. Nor can you wait for an order from a magistrate to open fire on him, like we need to in when dealing with riots etc where AFSPA is not in force. Any delay in such situations would result in the terrorists escaping, or worse, killing civilians and our own comrades. "Then why is the Chief Minister of the state asking for removal of AFSPA?" someone asked. "He should just ask for the army to be removed and he will take care of the law and order with his state police." Nattha Singh, the wizened old havildar gave the final word. " I think those Army Jawans were foolish." "Saala I don't care about AFSPA shafspa. After this one thing is clear to me. When the paltan goes to the valley, I am not going to stick my neck out for anything. Let bloody terrorists kill as many people and escape. No one is going to hang me for that. At least that way there won't be any risk - either of getting killed or killing someone, getting court martialled and going to jail. At least then the Human Rights groups will not debate my " excesses " on the TV. At least they will not call the people on duty as " murderers ". If " innocent " boys want to zoom past Army check-posts , let them do it, how does it matter to me ? After all, this is their problem let them deal with it - I will spend my two years there doing nothing and retire peacefully to my village, and not in jail " There were nods of agreement all around. But I wasn't so sure I agreed. "What about the paltan's izzat?" I asked. "That won't be at risk too", Nattha said. " Paltan ki badnaami to tab hoyegi naa jab tum apna kaam karoge aur khuda naa khaasta kaam karte aisee bhayaanak ghatna ho jaaye. Kam se kam kaam karo, kam se kam pange lo, to galati kaise hogi ? . That way we will make no mistakes like those chaps did, and so Army ki Izzat bachi rahegi." I'm confused...... maybe Nattha is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment