Total Pageviews

Monday 10 February 2014

SIACHEN CAPTAINS SAGA OF COURAGE

I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish that He didn’t trust me so much ~ Mother Teresa I am sharing a real life story of courage, confidence and determination. A young soldier was severely incapacitated in the Siachen glacier region also known as the world’s highest battle field situated at an average altitude of 18,000 feet above sea level. An account of the incident is given below in the newspaper item: The army provided singular support to Major Rajesh by way of intensive medical care and a suitable employment in the army to rehabilitate him. But despite the physical and mental challenges Rajesh Mehta continued doing his work devotedly and always with a helpful attitude. He is known to be an officer with a smiling demeanor who never says yet finds solutions to problems of soldiers. In earlier days! In such adverse physical conditions many would give up hope but not this young man a trained commando and an inspirational leader of troops who lives up to the motto “Mushkil waqt commando sakth” i.e.,“When the Going Gets Tough the commando gets going”! “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path” ~ Buddha On 9th December this year a wonderful event happened took place. Major Rajesh received his orders for his promotion to the coveted rank of a Lieutenant Colonel. This news brought happiness and pride to all those who have known Rajesh’s brave struggle to overcome all odds. I asked Rajesh to share with us the source of his strength to face life with enthusiasm and cheer. Please do read his message - “With the blessings of Almighty & good wishes of all your bloggers and my family & friends I have been promoted as Lieutenant Colonel on 9th Dec 2013. The positive messages from you on earlier blog posts (http://dilipnaidu.wordpress. com/2012/08/15/india-proudly- celebrates-25th-independence- day/) have encouraged me immensely. I am especially grateful to my wife her courage, fortitude and support during our ups and downs. My young son too is a spirited and wonderful company for me. I feel great pride in being part of such a wonderful organization ‘The Indian Army’ & its humane approach to employment management and thank them for taking care of me and my family in every way. I wish to share with you what helps me cope with my disabilities of triple amputation and CVA (Cerebral Vascular Accident)? As per medical prescription, I was bound to be on lifelong medication. During the post amputation period when my entire time was spent on the hospital bed with hardly any scope of exercise except being picked up on a wheelchair & taken around. Fortunately for me it was my doctor who suggested that I could follow the Yoga/ Pranayama being telecast live on TV in the early mornings. Initially it was difficult for me to pick up the technique of Anuloma Pranayama (Anuloma pranayama is breathing through alternate nostrils). But after a period of one month my body got used to deep slow inhaling and absorbing oxygen in abundance. I continued with medication till mid 2009 & also kept doing Pranayamas. I had to tolerate the strong side effects of the medications. But in Jan 2010 my neurophysician after detailed assessment of my progress felt I could taper down my medication. And by the end of 2010, not only was I rid of my medication but could also do 50 sit-ups on the bed. I continued with the same routine and as on date I am able to do 200 sit-ups every day followed by an hour of Pranayama. Finally I would advice all friends to allot some time every day to do breathing exercises or Pranayama and continue a medicine free healthy life.” “When you own your breath, nobody can steal your peace” ~Author Unknown Dear blogger friends do join me in wishing Lt. Col Rajesh and his family good luck and plenty of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment